Date:      Tue, 08 Apr 1997 18:51:23 -0400
From:      dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FW: Unix Gurus shift to Microsoft (fwd)

At 06:24 PM 4/8/97 -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
>On Tue, 8 Apr 1997, dennis wrote:
>
>> >Microsoft R&D $2e9 this year "and we're going to triple it" (they
>> >don't say how fast though);
>> >
>> >Microsoft hardware group revenues $3e6 per employee;
>> >
>> >Microsoft presenting 20% of the papers at SIGGRAPH;
>> >
>> >etc etc.
>> >
>> >Especially entertaining is the discussion of the Windows CE platform,
>> >which one article claims is a proprietary hardware and software
>> >product with the manufacturers competing to be low cost contract
>> >hardware manufacturers for Microsoft.
>>
>> I wonder how long its going to take for the courts to bone up on this and
>> understand what Microsoft has become. The WebTV acquisition is very
>> troubing to me, as well as the fact that they also announced that the will
>> be selling "diskless workstations". Pretty soon they will make everyone
>> buy hardware from them also...it seems fairly clear that thats the
direction
>> they are taking.
>
>Courts don't do it, Justice and Congress do, and they are completely
>baffled by computers in the first place.  Some judges actually spend the
>time to learn the issues involved, but congressmen, unless it's
>politically needed, never do.  As long as Mom and Pop are happy with MS,
>congress will leave them alone.

bunk....mom and pop were happy with AT&T..it took sprint and mci and ibm
to get attention. The Justice dept (I thought Justice== courts???) still
doesnt
understand the AT&T breakup, and they never will probably, but the impact of
microsoft is MUCH more damaging than AT&T. AT&T, at least, was doing good
things, microsoft is a vulture.

Denis