Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 1997 11:27:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Matt Evans <bitstream@netpc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Getting error on installation procedure

On Mon, 27 Jan 1997, Matt Evans wrote:

> I'm installing FreeBSD from a DOS Partition, which resides on a Seagate
> 2GB Baracudda drive.  The DOS partition is 313MB, the rest is reserved
> for FreeBSD.
>
> The problem is, after setting up the FreeBSD slice and individual
> filesystems; /, /var, /usr, and swap.  I get a "Write failure on
> transfer! (wrote -1 bytes of 1024 bytes)" message.  After reading a
> able to get a little more info:

Did you download these in binary mode?  And did you get all the files?
That's where it looks like it's sticking.

> I have since read that there is a problem with installing FreeBSD from
> DOS partitions.  ARRRGH!!!!  Has this been fixed yet???!!!  I would
> gather this present a major problem for people installing FreeBSD, if
> they aren't loading from CD-ROM.  Please help.

Not that I know of.  I have had trouble installing from certain DOS
partitions in the past; I remedied this by doing a FTP install.  (I had to
fetch the PAO boot floppy so the PCCARD slots would work tho)