Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 2002 21:43:04 -0400
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        fcash@bigfoot.com
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: very old bug

On Thursday 11 April 2002 07:44 pm, Freddie Cash wrote:
| On April 11, 2002 02:28 pm, you wrote:
| > Simple solution: remove the floppy drive from your computer and
| > replace it with a CD-ROM burner.  Floppies don't hold enough data to
| > be of much use these days anyway, or at least so I find.  At any
| > rate, this fix works for me.
| >
| > I mean, I guess it seems disturbing that this wasn't somehow fixed
| > five years ago, but somewhat bizarre to tackle a floppy drive
| > problem, of all things, in 2002.
|
| Are there any errors generated when you mount a CD-ROM as read/write
| and try to write something to it??  Just curious, as that would be the
| same situation as is occuring with the floppy.

You can't do that; to write to a CD-ROM you must use special-purpose software.

Come to think of it, perhaps the best fix for floppies is to simply disable
the mounting of floppy-based file systems, forcing you to use mtools, which
doesn't have this problem.

This is pretty much the equivalent situation to a CD-RW.

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                ME -->  http://www.babbleon.org