Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 01:43:00 -0700
From:      "Scott" <kupek@earthlink.net>
To:        "Kal Torak" <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
Cc:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Chasing the kiddies (was: Named Keep crashing)

Kal Torak wrote:

> Infact I dont even see how anyone could call network scanning a crime...
> Its just like knocking on someones door to see if they are home, are we
> going to make that a crime as well?

This analogy has been made before, but network scanning isn't like knocking
on someones door. Attempting to access an IP using Internet Explorer on port
80 is like knocking on someones door. Port/Network scanning amounts to going
to someones house, peering in all of the windows, testing the door to see if
its unlocked, and seeing if the attic vent was left open on accident. This
definitely should be illegal IMO...

Scott