Date:      Thu, 7 May 1998 21:20:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <ac199@hwcn.org>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: misc/6537: New improved motd, take 2

The following reply was made to PR misc/6537; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Tim Vanderhoek <ac199@hwcn.org>
To: Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 00:16:21 -0400 (EDT)

 On Thu, 7 May 1998, Studded wrote:

 >  > >  Please see the Releases page at http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/releases/ for
 >  > >  any security advisories or updated information regarding this release.
 >  >
 >  > This doesn't quite flow right, and it implies a one-or-the-other feeling.
 >  > How about replacing `or' with `and':
 >
 >  	Because I don't want people complaining when they go to the page and

 How about "for potential security advisories and updated
 information"?

 >  > Please see the Releases page at http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/releases/ for
 >  > updated information regarding this release.
 >
 >  	This is better than the second one, but the idea of making it
 >  "security.. or updated info" was to imply that it's important enough to
 >  check out that URL without creating a sense of panic.

 I'd consider using a more passive approach, too...

 Security advisories and updated release information are posted at
 http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/releases/.

 Or, my favourite,

 Welcome to FreeBSD!  You will find security advisories and
 updated information posted at http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/releases/.

 >  	Actually your second point reinforces the importance of making the
 >  request polite but firm. "Please do this.." gives a sense of "here is
 >  how we have prepared for the goal of you helping yourself, so go do it"
 >  in my mind... it also makes it more friendly.

 No.  "Consult ..." is definately correct here.  Not only is it
 more firm (remember that whatever tone you read the "please" with
 may not be the one that are helpless lost soul reads "please"
 with --- they may see a very different kind of "please"), but
 using the imperative can give some much-needed confidence to the
 helpless lost soul.  Those reading it who aren't helpless lost
 souls and don't need the confidence won't really care that we
 didn't say "Please".

 --
 This .sig is not innovative, witty, or profund.