Date:      Thu, 28 May 1998 15:48:34 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, Pierre.Dampure@barclayscapital.com
Subject:   Re: ELF Stage 2: results

Bruce Evans wrote:
> >- The links created for the crypt libraries under /usr/lib/aout do not
> >necessarily match what was present in /usr/lib; in effect, I was suddenly
> >switched from DES to MD5 (which of course caused some problems when trying
> >to log in...). Of course, this is just a one off, so it doesn't matter that
> >much.
>
> I understand this now.  At least the non-secure src/lib/libcrypt/Makefile
> doesn't install the links if they already exist, so switching the
> version is difficult even if it is to recover from a build bug.  Also,
> src/lib/Makefile used to traverse the libcrypt directories in an order
> that ensured that the wrong version was always installed first in the
> clean /usr/lib/aout directory.  The change in rev.1.69 of src/lib/Makefile
> won't make any difference until you delete the bogus links.
>
> src/Makefile still has related bogons:
> - the libraries target traverses the libcrypt directories in the old
>   order.  Oops, I don't understand this now.  Installing src/lib/libcrypt
>   first here should make the change in rev.1.69 of src/lib/Makefile a
>   full no-op.

Yes, but here it's installing into usr/obj/tmp/usr/lib/aout and irrelevant
which one is used.  The src/lib/Makefile determines what is installed into
/usr/lib/aout for real..

At least, that's what I think happens. :-)  I've blown too many make
worlds in the last 24 hours and am fried with all the variations...

> Bruce

Cheers,
-Peter
--