Date:      Sat, 30 Nov 2002 08:31:08 +0300 (MSK)
From:      "."@babolo.ru
To:        "Rapha?l Ding?" <raphael.dinge@ohmforce.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Running FreeBSD on an old laptop

> Hi everybody,
> About partitioning the disk (since it is very limited), I've put :
> - 128 Mb to /
> - 64 Mb to swap
> - 50 Mb to /var
> - 50 Mb to /tmp
> - and the rest for /usr
>
> it seems that for the use that it should have :
> - / is a little oversized. I only want the minimum for it (no
> man pages, only essential) what should I put ? and what size
> should I use ?
It depends.
If you want to installworld/installkernel sometimes,
then 128 Mb is good enough.
64 Mb if not.
You can installkernel to 64 Mb partition
if you empty /modules before.

> - is 64 Mb of swap enough ?
probably not for use with X applications
(it depends)

> - /var and /tmp are perhaps a little oversized. any advice on them ?
see at /home - is it -> /var/home?
estimate your need for space in /home.
you can /tmp -> /var/tmp with a cost
of some trikiness in single user.

/tmp is highly dinamic
Do not forget to clear it every boot or
using daemon like ports/sysutils/deleted

> - where goes /home ? to / ? should I put a /home in the
> partition table ? which size should be good ?
1 Gb is extremly low.
I think that almost all free space need to be in
/tmp and /home in this circumstanse, but it is only for my working
pattern. Yours can be another.

> I've managed to install X and windowmaker, as well as xdm, which
> automatically start at boot. How ever, X is very, very, very
> slow, in particular when switching resolution. any advice ?
> could the driver I use be really important in the way X draws to
> screen ? (I mean would it be faster with a proper driver ?)
Yes

> I've fall in love with windowmaker. It is very fast on modern
> computer, but it is really slow on a P120. What wm is the
> fastest gnu-step like available on FreeBSD ?
Your wish is so restrictive...

PS
For test of your taste you can divide disk
for only 2 partitions - a and b, and install
all in single partition (b for swap as usual)
and measure real allocation after some time.
Then you can dump, repartite and restore
your dist on desktop.

But _beware_ - it is dangerous (not safety)
to use single partition.

--
@BABOLO      http://links.ru/