Date:      Fri, 9 Nov 2018 23:21:19 +0100
From:      Tomasz Rola <rtomek@ceti.pl>
To:        Valeri Galtsev <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OT: good free email service?

On Fri, Nov 09, 2018 at 10:18:58AM -0600, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I know it is an oxymoron: good free ... service ;-)
>
> Still, can someone recommend good free email service?

I cannot.

But I would start by looking for (paid) shell account - I think they
usually come with email option (i.e. POP3, IMAP and SMTP). I have had
a look and panix.com has a webpage. Note, I am not associated, not
even a client, I have no idea if they suck or not - albeit I have hard
time imagining how I could suck while giving shell accounts, because
it seems rather easy (a classic UNIX service, eh?).

Going after shell has a benefit - at least there is a chance you will
be hosted on "something normal" or resembling UNIX to some extent.

Free is not an option for me, because I am subscribed to too many
mailing lists and I like it when the emails keep coming.

For one or five mails a day, free might do the job. And they send spam
to their free clients, because the cost of "free" account has to be
paid somehow. With client-paid account, there is usually spamassassin
or something and it might even catch some trash.

Some other folks mention privacy. I would totally forget about anybody
who tries to sell me this, for free or not (as they say, if one tells
it to somebody, it is not a secret anymore and yet private email is
supposed to keep it secret, hehehe - also, consider king Midas and his
donkey ears).

[...]
> I definitely will not go with google, Microsoft, Apple. I don't have
> same strong feeling about yahoo as I have bout above, but...

I understand there are still some smaller players who would gladly
solve your problem.

--
Regards,
Tomasz Rola