Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 1997 11:37:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        gippolit@ccsmtp2.eccs.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help master.passwd

On Fri, 24 Jan 1997 gippolit@ccsmtp2.eccs.com wrote:

>      I have edited my master.passwd with vi!  I tried to change it back
>      with vipw!!!  Can someone help me!!  I don't have a saved copy of my
>      master.passwd.

The system doesn't use master.passwd, so you can hack it all you like
and you'll see no ill effects.

To regenerate it:

run vipw

Make some change, then change it back.

Save & quit the file.

Your password database, master.passwd, and passwd will be rebuilt from the
last time you ran vipw.  Thus the edits you made directly to master.passwd
will be lost, which I think is what you want.