Date:      Wed, 29 May 1996 18:55:36 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, scrappy@ki.net
Subject:   Re: I HATE OPTIMISING COMPILERS

Greg Lehey wrote in message ID
<199605291108.NAA20309@allegro.lemis.de>:
> Well, it looks like what you hate is a broken compiler.  That's not
> optimizing, that's just broken.

Well, it was the -O which was the culprit, which (to me at least)
points to a problem in the optimisation code.

> How come you didn't use gdb to follow up the problem?

Would gdb have been able to track this down? I'm not so sure. That,
and I have never liked gdb. I used gdb to track the execution path and
then dove into the sources to see what was going on.

Gary