Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 1998 21:54:00 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pci_map_mem() failing..

In article <199807282224.PAA20070@usr04.primenet.com> you wrote:

> PCI does not support 64 address lines, only 32.

Say what?  64bit PCI has been speced for awhile now.  Since 2.0?
Dual-address cycle 32bit PCI has been speced for even longer than that.

> If it was supported, then yes, it would need to, from my knowledge of
> experimental 64 bit PCI implementations by Intel and another vendor
> with a competing connector and lead arrangement.

They aren't experimental anymore.  There are a few MBs shipping right
now with 64bit 66MHz PCI busses on them.  Several Alpha and Sun workstations
now offer 64bit 33MHz PCI.  The spec is such that you can put a 64bit
PCI card in a 32bit slot and it works automagically in 32bit mode.

> Is there a particular reason you are trying to do this in 64 bit mode
> instead of 32 bit mode?

I think you misunderstand what the register is trying to say.  It is simply
saying that the card will accept a mapping in that register anywhere in
a 64bit address range.  It does not indicate the location of the mapping.
For that, you read the value out of the register.

--
Justin