Date:      Mon, 2 Sep 1996 18:26:43 -0700
From:      Carl Weidling <cpw@rahul.net>
To:        bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Trouble with disklabel trying to install Free BSD

	Hi,
	I have a CDROM from InfoMagic dated November 1994.  It has
both Free BSD and Net BSD on it.  I bought it awhile back and, as
an experiment, installed netbsd on a laptop with it (250MB hard drive).
That laptop has since bitten the dust.  What I have now is a computer
with 16MB, ADM486dx2-80, and EIDE Western digital drives.
	Recently, I bought a 2nd Western Digital EIDE hard drive and
have been trying to install FreeBSD (vers 2.0) on it.  I've even tried
makeing it the primary and only HD (setting jumpers according to disk
documentation, etc).  I use rawrite to copy boot and cpio floppies and
started the install, but I get stuck in disklabel, which keeps telling me
me I have invalid partitions when I try to assign.  I've tried carving
up my harddrive lots of ways with your fdisk (I have to say it seems
more confusing to me than linux's fdisk, but that may be a matter of
experience.)  For instance, linux's fdisk will list the numbers for different
partitions (including various BSD type partitions).
	I was only able to install linux after getting updated disk manager
software from Western Digital (actually Ontrack) and I wonder if this,
and the fact that I'm using 1gig+ drives, is part of my problem.  I did
try creating relatively small partitions (300 to 400MB) and having them
in the low number cylinders of my drives.
	I'm sure there are improvements in newer versions of FreeBSD,
but I wanted to try what I had to get a feel for things before breaking
down and ordering a new CD-ROM
	BTW, I suppose that my old verson doesn't understand ATAPI cd-rom
drives (my linux version sure doesn't, aargh), what about the latest
versions?  Could I install directly from an ATAPI cd-rom drive with those?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Regards,
Carl Weidling