Date:      Sat, 23 Aug 2008 18:45:34 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: usb4bsd patch review

Quoting "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> (Sat, 23 Aug 2008 15:27:24 +0000):

> In message <200808231034.54484.hselasky@c2i.net>, Hans Petter Selasky writes:
>

> >The problem about "devfs.rules" with regard to USB is that you don't know what
> >you are giving permissions to. A rule that gives permission to "/dev/ulpt0"
> >will give permissions to the first printer you plug into the USB system. That
> >is not neccessarily what the user wants.
>
> I think this might be a good time to consider the devd/devfs
> distribution of work.
>
> The reason devfs(8) works like "firewall rules" is that we did not want
> some mandatory daemon to set the modes, in particular on embedded
> systems.
>
> The alternative solution is to always create device nodes "root:wheel r--"
> and let the daemon set the mode as desired.
>
> This model has the advantage of not needing the uid, gid and mode arguments
> to make_dev, something that has always been acknowleded as a kludge.
>
> The down side is that devd(8) becomes a mandatory daemon on most systems.

A downside which belongs into its own discussion, an not into the
already huge back and forth for the new USB subsystem.

> Given that devfs(8) has not exactly been a stellar success and that it
> often and repeatedly bites people with it slightly pedantic semantics,
> transitioning in that direction might be a good thing.

Unpredictable behavior (except you know by heard which entry is
behaving how... something someone should not need to know)
instead of doing it right by doing all at once? I don't think this is a
good idea, and it seems Warner thinks the same (see his answer to the
mail you answered to).

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #177:
	Know your enemies... but do business with them always.