Date:      Mon, 27 May 2002 09:33:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jerry Murdock <jerry_murdock@yahoo.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, Mark Smith <msmith@beta.tricity.wsu.edu>
Subject:   Re: bynari with linux emulation?

> while looking into replacing an M$ exchange server with FreeBSD,
> I ran across a linux product called Bynari Mail Server
> http://www.bynari.net/downloads.html
> which, in their words,"This server only works with Red Hat 7.2
> Intel distribution and will not run on any other distribution of
> Linux. It requires a fresh OS install and uses the entire
> operating system."  That being said, does anybody think it'll
> run on FreeBSD with the Linux emulation?

IIRC, that's the disclaimer on their "free" version.  It's probably more for
preventing support calls as anything else.  If they claim full control of the
box they don;t have to worry about working with anything else on the box.

My guess is there won't be any _real_ problems, but it it may not work "out of
the box" without some tweaking.

I've never used the actual Bynari server product, but on the server side it's
Cyrus IMAP at it's heart, with the admin/management and other glue pieces
already in place.

The really interesting product for my purposes, the Outlook "InsightConnector",
had more than it's share of problems.  As much as I wanted it to work (and I
REALLY wanted it to work), the best summary I could give it is "support
nightmare."  It would hang and lockup Outlook (especially on big messages),
folder synchronization was buggy (dup'ed messages), IMAP operations were slow ,
and the biggest killer was no SSL support.

If you want to try the InsightConnector it will work with most IMAP servers,
probably even the IMAP server included w/Exchange.

Another product to look at, especially if shared Calendars is important, is
Corporate Time at www.steltor.com.  It works better than the Bynari product
IMO, but is in some ways less ambitious.  It's biggest downside is no sharing
of Contacts.  We have this in production at a couple of clients and are
generally pleased with it.  Just be sure you are aware of the limitations.

Neither is a great alternative for environments where the Exchange genie has
already been let out of the bottle.

Jerry