Date:      Tue, 10 Nov 1998 22:44:04 +1100 (EST)
From:      Tony Maher <tonym@angis.usyd.edu.au>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Travan TR4 dump/restore

Hello,

running current from around 30 Oct 98, having trouble with backups.
Thought it was a hardware problem so installed new tape drive
but it still problems.

from dmesg
  ahc0: <Adaptec 2940 SCSI adapter> rev 0x03 int a irq 11 on pci0.9.0
  ahc0: aic7870 Single Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs
  sa0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 5 lun 0
  sa0: <Seagate STT8000N 3.22> Removable Sequential Access SCSI2 device
  sa0: 10.0MB/s transfers (10.0MHz, offset 15)

Running
  dump 0uabf 64 /dev/nrsa0 /
  dump 0uabf 64 /dev/nrsa0 /usr
  dump 0uabf 64 /dev/nrsa0 /var
  dump 0uabf 64 /dev/nrsa0 /n/01
  dump 0uabf 64 /dev/nrsa0 /n/02

Dumps run without any errors, but trying to restore get
"resync restore, skipped 33 blocks"

  restore iv
  Verify tape and initialize maps
  Tape block size is 64
  Dump   date: Tue Nov 10 19:28:29 1998
  Dumped from: the epoch
  Level 0 dump of / on zen.my.domain:/dev/da1s1a
  Label: none
  Extract directories from tape
  resync restore, skipped 33 blocks
  Initialize symbol table.

Can actually extract files ok from the first dumpset.
However trying to get it from second dumpset

  mt rewind
  mt -f /dev/nrsa0 fsf
  restore ivf /dev/nrsa0
  Verify tape and initialize maps
  Tape block size is 64
  Dump   date: Tue Nov 10 19:29:18 1998
  Dumped from: the epoch
  Level 0 dump of /usr on zen.my.domain:/dev/da1s1g
  Label: none
  resync restore, skipped 33 blocks
  Cannot find file dump list

Exits back to command line.

Is this known problem?  Anyone using a TR4 tape drive succesfully?

thanks
tonym