Date:      Sat, 31 Oct 1998 12:48:27 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, jcwells@u.washington.edu
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD certified software (was: WordPerfect 8 for Linux)

On Friday, 30 October 1998 at 22:53:12 +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
>>> StarOffice on CD is probably not easy to install on FreeBSD; it's the
>>> port that does that.  If a port exists, and the manufacturer distributes
>>> the package on his CD-ROM, then we should give him extra credit for
>>> that, even if it's not a native FreeBSD port.
>>
>> Absolutely. This would fall under "Designed for".
>>
>> The communcation hangup here is in the definition of "native". Perhaps a
>> vendor builds a FreeBSD software product. Maybe the vendor knows nothing
>> of "FreeBSD Ports(tm)". I would still call this a "native port" because it
>> was explicitly made to run on FreeBSD without emulation. The vendor gets
>> the extra recognition.
>
> I would like to see three categories:
>
> o	Can be made to run with effort
> o	Install tools, but non-native binaries
> o	Native binaries.

You're late on the scene, Terry.  This is exactly what I suggested
several days ago.

I think that others have made a valid point, though: if we include the
first category, we don't give much incentive for them to take the
relatively small step to the second category.  I think we should refer
to the first category in an also-ran web page, but not issue
certificates unless they go at least to the second category.

Greg