Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2000 12:08:23 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Gareth Boulton <gareth_b@pacbell.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   USB conflict with SCSI HD

I have a SanDisk ImageMate Compact Flash reader that uses the umass driver
(ie it's the supported one).

However, the USB devices rely on the SCSI driver, too. This causes a
problem if the boot device is SCSI....

If I have the ImageMate plugged in at boot the system believe that it is
da0 and cannot mount the root file system. If I unplug it the system boots
fine from da0s1a (as it should).

Question: Is there a way of (re)assigning the ImageMate a da? other than
0? If not, which da? device would it show up as if I'm booted off da0? I
tried "sh MAKEDEV all" when it was plugged in (usbd was running) and no
devices were made. Manually trying all the da? devices other than 0 was
without success too.

Thanks!
:Gareth
--
 Gravissima calamitas umquam supra           | Gareth Boulton
 Occidentem accidens erat religio Christiana |