Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 09:15:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@kot.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        Stan Brown <stanb@netcom.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IP Tunneling, is it possible?

Stan Brown once stated:

= I have 2 physicaly seperate segments of the same subnet that I need to
= connect logicaly. I have a FreeBSD gateway/firewall machine on both of
= the subnets conected to the corporate network.

I love my  PPP over SSH connection. Basicly, ppp  on one machine invokes
ssh to login to the other side and start ``ppp -direct'' there. Once the
connection is up, both ends can  route packets to/from the newly created
tun-interfaces enabling other machines on the LANs to see it all.

This works perfect to get a normal connection through a one-way firewall
too, BTW.

	-mi

= Specificaly,  I   have  an   existing  network   170.85.106.*  netmask
= 255.255.255.128 which  connects to the corporate  170.85.113.* network
= this is then  is routed to 170.85.109.*  Now I have in  my office some
= more machines that I need to set up for the 170.85.106 net.
=
= Is there a way to encapsulate packets on the 2 parts of the 170.85.105
= network,  and  send them  to  the  other  part,  where they  would  be
= unencapsulated? I think this is  called IP Tunneling and Linux appears
= to support  it, but I would  rather not change the  2 gateway/firewall
= machines over to Linux, if I don't have to.