Date:      Sat, 28 Mar 1998 11:43:25 -0500
From:      dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        Dan Janowski <danj@3skel.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network throttle...

At 10:35 AM 3/28/98 -0500, Dan Janowski wrote:
>I am looking for a way to create a lower bandwidth restriction on an
>interface. I have an ethernet interface that I want to restrict to a
>maximum
>of T1 throughput.
>
>1. Is there a way to do this (easy or kernel hacking)

We have a commercial add-on product that does this

http://www.etinc.com/bwmgr.htm

>What happens, i.e. the mechanics, when there is a higher
>capacity link feeding into a lower capacity link. Where does all
>the data go? I know it is buffered to an extent, but that has limits.
>Do the packets get dropped? I seem to remember an ICMP type that
>indicates transmission of too much data and for the sender to cut back
>or something.

Our product "simulates" the functioning of IP packets when they reach a
slower link. Data is only dumped when the hold time is greater that a
threshold (as TCP will retransmit anyway). In normal operation (ie without
substantial overload like video feeds or flood pinging) TCP is self-throttling
by "slowing the acks". Source quenching is not necessary, unreliable and
generally creates a mess.

You can limit the entire interface, limit individual hosts by IP address,
entire networks or limit data types (like cu-seeme traffic).

Dennis