Date:      Fri, 1 Nov 2002 14:54:18 +0200
From:      Tom Alsberg <alsbergt@zoopee.org>
To:        FreeBSD Stable List <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Sound problems with on-board i815 (ICH) sound card

Hi there.

I am having problems getting sound working using an on-board Intel
i815 sound card.

The snd_ich module does not give any error messages or any other
output while loading, also nothing relevant seems to appear in the
kernel messages (dmesg) after loading the module.  Yet, I still get
the error that /dev/dsp and the like are not configured.

The system is FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE,  but I had the same problems with
FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE on that machine.

The machine is an small form factor HP Vectra.

Following is the detection output from dmesg:

<snip>
  chip1: <Intel 82801AA (ICH) AC'97 Audio Controller> port 0x1300-0x133f,0x1200-0x12ff irq 9 at device 31.5 on pci0
</snip>

And following is the relevant output from 'pciconf -l -v':

<snip>
  chip1@pci0:31:5:        class=0x040100 card=0x1249103c chip=0x24158086 rev=0x02 hdr=0x00
  vendor   = 'Intel Corporation'
  device   = '82801AA 8xx Chipset AC'97 Audio Controller'
  class    = multimedia
  subclass = audio
<snip/>

The snd_ich module works fine for me on other machines with an i810 or
i815 on-board sound card, e.g. the DELL OptiPlex GX150.

I tried the trial (time-limited) version of the OSS drivers (from
4Front Technologies - http://www.4front-tech.com/), and it works with
their ICH driver.
Yet I remember that the OSS ICH driver did not manage to detect the
IRQ correctly, and I had to choose one myself, from a list, with some
of the entries marked as 'may be free'.  Initially I chose the IRQ I
got from the output of dmesg, and when trying to play any audio, the
system would crash (hard freeze).  Next time I choose one of the
entries marked as 'may be free' (IRQ 7, if I recall correctly), and it
worked with that.

May it be that the FreeBSD snd_ich module is trying to use the wrong
IRQ?
I was told that building the kernel with 'device pnp' would help.  Yet
config does not know of such a device.

How can I specify which IRQ to use while loading the module?

Any other ideas what the problem might be, and how it could be solved?

  Thank you, any help appreciated,
  -- Tom

--
  Tom Alsberg - certified insane, complete illiterate.
        e-mail: <alsbergt@softhome.net>