Date:      Sun, 22 Mar 1998 17:25:16 -0300 (EST)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@coppe.ufrj.br>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ftp.cdrom.com limits ftp bandwidth ?

Hi,

  My network is so logically close to California that most times it's
faster to fetch things from ftp.cdrom.com than from other parts of
Brasil.  And I have always considered ftp speed measurements from
ftp.cdrom.com as a theoretical top limit on single connection bandwidth.

  When we first had our 2M international channel I tested the speed and
it was 34kBps for a single ftp transfer.  It was not a limit on the
link, because I could open a second (and third, and fourth) simultaneous
ftp and get the same 34kBps.  So I thought that was the TCP window
limit for Rio de Janeiro <-> California links.

  But yesterday (when miraculously we got full speed again), a friend
could get things from other places in USA at 50kBps and above rates.
I first thought that something changed in our international link and went
ftp.cdrom.com to test.  Just to get the same 34kBps.  So, it seems to me
that this 34kBps limit is particular to ftp.cdrom.com.

  Is this a software limit on DG's ftpd ?  Or just a side effect from
the relatively small window used on ftp.cdrom.com to conserve memory ?
Or maybe http traffic has some performance advantage over ftp traffic ?
(I'm not complaining, I'm just curious.  I would love if I could get
34kBps everyday and everytime.  :) )

					Jonny

PS: No, it's not a www caching effect.  I checked that.  :)

PS2: All measurements are rough, as they were done by netscape, but were
fully reproducible at that time.

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis			jonny@gta.ufrj.br
+55 21 290-4698				jonny@coppe.ufrj.br