Date:      Thu, 17 May 2001 10:07:15 +0200
From:      Hans Huebner <hans@huebner.org>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   i386/27404: FreeBSD-4.3 crashes in VMware

>Number:         27404
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       FreeBSD-4.3 crashes in VMware
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:

IBM Thinkpad T21 running Windows 2000 professional and VMware Workstation
Version 2.0.4 build 1142.  FreeBSD is run inside a VM.

FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE crashes in the initialization of the lnc0
network interface.  The error message is "VMware Workstation PANIC:
BUG F(562):1647 bugNr=4935".  Pointers in the net suggest that the
problem has to do with an 32 bit register mode in the Lance ethernet
controller which is unsupported by VMware.  Looking at the CVS logs,
I could not find any recent changes regarding the Lance code.

>How-To-Repeat:

Install FreeBSD-4.3 in a VMware virtual machine, boot.