Date:      Sun, 6 Feb 2005 16:58:14 +0100
From:      Matej =?utf-8?q?Badali=C4=8D?= <Matej.Badalic@volja.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installation does not start

--nextPart6682945.zazj5Nfudo

Hi!
I'm new to FreeBSD and I need some help!
I have tried to install FreeBSD 4.11 and 5.3, but with both I wasn't=20
successfull! I want to try how FreeBSD works so I have tried to install it =
on=20
an older computer, maybe is this the cause, but I have read that you can=20
install it on an i484 with 16MB of RAM or similar.

My system is:
100MHz AMD K5
1,7GB disc
48MB RAM
1MB video card
8x CDROM
SB16...
On that sistem I have already RedHat Linux 7.2 which I don't use...

As I said I have tried with the 4.11 and 5.3 RELEASE of FreeBSD. Both were=
=20
unsuccessfull. Here is a description what happened:

######################
=2D with the 4.11 RELEASE:#
######################
1.) First I have tried to boot from CDROM but the following happened:
BTX loader 1.00 BTX version is 1.01
Console: internal video/keyboard

int=3D0000000d ...
eax=3D0000ffff ...
esi=3D0000003d ...
cs=3D f0000....
cs: eip=3D 00 00 00...
ss: esp=3D ff ff ff...
BTX halted
(the upper lines were full of "00", "ff" and similar characters - I haven't=
=20
transribed all the lines to the end)

2.) Next I have made the boot/installation floppies. I put the first=20
diskette(boot.flp) in the drive and I got this:

BTX loader 1.00 BTX version is 1.01
Console: internal video/keyboard
BIOS drive A: is disk0
BIOS drive C: is disk1
BIOS 639kB/48128kB available memory

=46reeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revison 0.8
(root@....)
/kernel text=3D0x289d91 data=3D0x301170+0x32d04 zf_read: fill error

elf_loadexec:archsw.readim failed
can't load module '/kernel': input/output error

Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.
Booting [kernel] in X seconds... (--> here I haven't touched anything and I=
=20
got the next line)=20

/kernel text=3D0x289d91 data=3D0x301170+0x32d04 zf_read: fill error
can't load 'kernel'
can't load 'kernel.old'

Type '?' for a list of commands, 'help' for more detailed help.
ok

#####################
=2D with the 5.3 RELEASE:#
#####################
1.) Also here I have first tried to boot from CDROM but the following=20
happened:

CD Loader 1.2
Building the boot loader arguments
Read Error: 0x01
Could not find Primary Volume Descriptor

2.) Next I have made the boot/installation floppies. I put the first=20
diskette(boot.flp) in the drive and then the other two diskettes:

I came to the menu where I'm asked to make the partitions:

In the next menu you will need to set up a DOS-style ("fdisk")
Then I hit Enter an get this:

No disks found! Please verify that your disk controller is being properly=20
probed at boot time. See the Hardware Guide on the Documentation menu for=20
clues on diagnosing this type of problem.

At the end I have these questions:
Has anybody installed FreeBSD on an older (similar to my) system?
How do I know (see) if the disk controller is being probed at boot time in=
=20
=46reeBSD?

Any suggestions highly appreciated,
Matej