Date:      Sat, 14 Sep 2002 16:37:58 -0600
From:      Stacy Millions <stacy@millions.ca>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kern_random interface

Dominic Marks wrote:

> Other '*control' applications keywords, it would be nice to keep this
> constant in rndcontrol (In my opinion anyway), something like:
>
> rndcontrol list
>
> Show a list of the random data sources
>
> rndcontrol enable rng0
>
> Enable harversting from this device
>
> rndcontrol disable rng0
>
> Disable harversting
>
> rndcontrol link ipsec rng0
> rndcontrol link geom rng1
>
> Assign certain parts of the kernel to certain random devices
>
> Is this sort of what you had in mind ?

I had not thought of using rndcontrol to assign randomness to other
areas and I'm not sure it is appropriate. I would have expected that
to be part of the functionality of the subsytems configuration tool.

For example, for IPSec it would be an option to setkey. Maybe
	setkey -r rng0
But this would require some sort of a standard interface within the
kernel that all rng devices should implement and then it would be
possible for IPSec to select its source of randomness. Of course, I'm
not sure if this falls under the category "Interesting idea, but not
practical". Is it usefull for indvidual components to select different
sources of randomness, or are you better off to have all the RNG devices
feeding kern_random?

-stacy

--
If they keep lowering education standards and raising the price of
gasoline, there are going to be a lot of stupid people walking around.

Stacy Millions                                       stacy@millions.ca
Millions Consulting Limited