Date:      Fri, 7 Feb 2003 10:52:29 +0000
From:      synkrat <synkrat@midsouth.rr.com>
To:        Dave Uhring <duhring@charter.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OpenSSH_3.5p1 FreeBSD-20030201 crash

On Fri February 7 2003 04:37 pm, Dave Uhring wrote:
> On Friday 07 February 2003 08:55 am, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> > Mark Nipper <nipsy@tamu.edu> writes:
> > > Anyway, any ideas on the SSH error?
> >
> > Sure, if you tell me what the error is.
>
> Before I replaced the binaries with those from the openssh-3.5p1 package
> and disabled PAM this was what my machine reported:
>
> Feb  6 06:59:43 willy sshd[139]: pam_start: malloc failed for pam_conv
> Feb  6 06:59:43 willy sshd[139]: fatal: PAM: initialisation failed

Your troubles can be cured by updating src and rebuilding openssh.

[freebsd] / src / crypto / openssh
Revision 1.5 / (download) - annotate - [select for diffs], Fri Jan 31 11:08:07
2003 UTC (7 days, 5 hours ago) by des
Branch: MAIN
CVS Tags: HEAD
Changes since 1.4: +19 -0 lines
Diff to previous 1.4 (colored)

Fix keyboard-interactive authentication for ssh1.  The problem was twofold:

 - The PAM kbdint device sometimes doesn't know authentication succeeded
   until you re-query it.  The ssh1 kbdint code would never re-query the
   device, so authentication would always fail.  This patch has been
   submitted to the OpenSSH developers.

 - The monitor code for PAM sometimes forgot to tell the monitor that
   authentication had succeeded.  This caused the monitor to veto the
   privsep child's decision to allow the connection.

These patches have been tested with OpenSSH clients on -STABLE, NetBSD and
Linux, and with ssh.com's ssh1 on Solaris.

Sponsored by:   DARPA, NAI Labs