Date:      Mon, 31 Aug 1998 23:17:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      rick hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
To:        bear@pacificnet.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What ethernet card should I use on my PC with a modem cable?

> found some NetGear cards and others as well.  Not a single one of them did
> I find any jumpers or anything on them.  I'm afraid of using PnP hardware
> with FreeBSD.  One of the Lynksys cards that I saw was Linux compatible,

	You're not going to find a new network card that is not PNP these
days. I spent the extra money and bought kingston PCI network cards.
They've all run great, installed with no problems at all. FYI, you don't
need to have the PNP driver for them at all, just use the de0 driver.

> Finding NE2000 or NE2100 compatible boards have been a pain in the ass as
> well.  I have been recomended the Intel ethernet cards but they are way out

	Kingstons are 100% NE2000 compatible. I've used the under Novell,
Linux, Windows versions 95 all the way up to Nt4.0 with no problems. You
can find them between $30-$50. I personally don't like the Intel cards,
I've experienced them as being a bit tempermental personally.

> cards, and how would I even run two cards?  Would I need to get two PCI
> cards?  I hear that I can set the IRQ's via the BIOS if it's PCI, but I've
> never had to do any BIOS fiddling so I have no clue on how to do that.

	All you might have to do is use the setup disk for the network
card to change it's IRQ and Address. You don't want to play with the BIOS
unless you REALLY know what you're doing...

					Rick