Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 1999 09:45:31 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@FreeBSD.org.uk>
To:        hm@hcs.de
Cc:        brian@FreeBSD.org.uk (Brian Somers), garyj@muc.de, pherman@element-5.de, Dirk.Nerling@pdv.de, freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: can somebody explain me the followings dial / never disconnects?

> >From the keyboard of Brian Somers:
>
> > > Anyway, in i4b still all packets reset the idle timer whereas this must
> > > be changed to a behaviour that only IP packets reset the idle timer.
> >
> > I don't think this is right.  IMHO i4b should implement the idle timer
> > as it currently does and should not understand ppp frames.  If
> > there's a ppp layer running on top of the i4b device, that's where
> > the idle timer that ignores ECHO requests (or whatever) should be.
>
> Ok, i was unclear. Currently, every packet resets i4b's idle timer, so
> as long as there are echo requests, it will never timeout and so the
> line will stay open forever.
>
> What i think of is a sort of callback from isp (the "physical device")
> to sppp (the PPP machine), where sppp is able to say "this is a packet
> which carries data (IP packets), please reset the idle timer" or "this
> is a packet which is not relevant to the idle timer (LCP Echo etc.),
> please do not reset the idle timer".
>
> This way i4b knows nothing about packet contents, the knowledge goes
> into sppp (which should know all about PPP) but they both can communicate
> about the content of a packet with regard to resetting the idle timeout
> mechanism.
>
> Does this sound better ?

Absolutely.  In the case of sppp, this is definitely the best
solution.

However, a facility to dynamically control the idle timer may still
be required in the future.  For MP implementations, there should be a
single idle timer for the whole bundle.  This requires that the timer
be implemented at the ppp level where it knows when the last NCP packet
was sent/received on *any* link.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@OpenBSD.org>