Date:      Thu, 6 Mar 2003 15:33:55 +0100
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@siemens.com>
To:        Francesco Casadei <fcasadei@inwind.it>
Cc:        Joan Picanyol i Puig <lists-freebsd-stable@biaix.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (da0:ahc0:0:0:0): Unexpected busfree in Data-in phase and other weirdness

On Sat, 01-Mar-2003 at 10:49:34 +0100, Francesco Casadei wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 12:50:31AM +0100, Joan Picanyol i Puig wrote:
> > [reposted from -scsi@, maybe that's not the right place]
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > On an Adaptec 2940 I have an IBM DNES-309170W and a SEAGATE ST318438LW,
> > soft-raided with vinum. Lately it seems that the Seagate disc has become
> > 'unstable', and I don't know how to diagnose any further. I've checked
> > the cabling and I've tried the SeaTools floppy disk from Seagate but it
> > hangs on my system :(
> >
> > Please have a look at the excerpt of kernel logs at
> > http://biaix.org/pk/debug/. messages.1.kernel shows what happened (look
> > for Feb 4) while recording a cd with my SCSI cd-writer. The system
> > appeared to hang for anything between 3 and 20 minutes while I was
> > getting those.  messages.0.kernel shows what happened today (Feb 27) for
> > no apparent reason. Problems persisted across reboots, even though some
> > of them were not logged (could not fsck).
> >
> > For further reference, please look at this thread from two months ago:
> > http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=2329637+0+/usr/local/www/db/text/2002/freebsd-questions/20021222.freebsd-questions
> >
> > I'm really stumped so I'd appreciate any help in the lines of:
> >
> > 1.- What's causing these problems?
> > 2.- How can I solve them?
> >
> > tks
> > --
> > pica

> > end of the original message
>
> I'm having this problem too. When this happens the SCSI bus is reset. Here's
> the error message (not wrapped):

> Here's the system configuration:
>
> # camcontrol devlist
> <IBM DDRS-34560W S92A>             at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,da0)
> <IBM DNES-318350W SA30>            at scbus0 target 1 lun 0 (pass1,da1)
> <TEAC CD-R55S 1.0R>                at scbus0 target 2 lun 0 (pass2,cd0)
> <PLEXTOR CD-ROM PX-32TS 1.02>      at scbus0 target 3 lun 0 (pass3,cd1)

(I assume the cabling/termination has been checked already.)

I had bus problems with my DNES until I upgraded the firmware to:

da2: <IBM DNES-318350W SAH0> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-3 device

In general, I have often seen bus problems when a lot of different
devices are hanging on the same SCSI bus and some drives are being
hit really hard. They always went away with a new fw, especially
on my IBM DDYS drives. The Plextor fw seems a bit old as well (at
least compared to my PLEXTOR CD-ROM PX-40TS 1.13) but I don't know
if the 32TS uses the same as the 40TS.

I have written a program to upgrade the firmware on IBM and Plextor
(and some other devices) under FreeBSD in case you are interested...
However, IMO one should play with the fw only in case of problems
and not just to get lastest version...

	-Andre