Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 1996 09:00:44 -0700
From:      "Mark O'Lear" <Mark.Olear@Colorado.EDU>
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vi complaints

Archie Cobbs wrote:

> People are sensitive about their text editors.
>
> I'm no exception... :-)
>
> The new "vi" has two new flaws IMHO...
>
>   o The ESC timeout is too short. My definition of too short is
>     that when you're telneted to another machine on the same
>     Ethernet segment, and up arrow sometimes gets misinterpreted
>     as ESC, A, causing it to open a new line, insert an A, etc. etc.
>
>   o Sometimes when I exit out (maybe via control-z) it displays some
>     message in reverse video at the bottom, but forgets to reverse
>     it back, so now everything on the command line is in reverse video.
>
> -Archie

> Archie Cobbs   *   Whistle Communications, Inc.  *   http://www.whistle.com

>From the vi man page:

     keytime [6]
           The 10th's of a second ex/vi waits for a subsequent key to
complete
           a key mapping.

What is your 'keytime' set for?  (do a ':set keytime' from
vi).  This may be too low, you can always set it higher
in your .exrc file (put a line 'set keytime=10' or some
appropriate value for your configuration).
--
Mark O'Lear             \    e-mail: Mark.Olear@Colorado.EDU
University of Colorado   \   phone:  (303) 492-3798