Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2007 08:43:17 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@deepcore.dk>
To:        Barney Cordoba <barney_cordoba@yahoo.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=5C=22S=F8ren=5C=22_Schmidt=22?= <sos@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Any successful installs on a Broadcom HT1000 chipset?

Barney Cordoba wrote:
> --- S=F8ren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>  =20
>> Mike Tancsa wrote:
>>    =20
>>> At 07:26 AM 11/21/2007, Barney Cordoba wrote:
>>>      =20
>> this
>>    =20
>> FreeBSD
>>    =20
>> used by
>>    =20
>>> I think you are jumping to conclusions.  I have a
>>>      =20
>> HT1000 chipset board=20
>>    =20
>>> and have been using it just fine for some time.=20
>>>
>>>      =20
> (http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2007-November/07992=
0.html)
>  =20
>>> There obviously are some cases were it does not,
>>>      =20
>> so its harder to=20
>>    =20
>>> track down than just a case of spending $150.  If
>>>      =20
>> you do have such a=20
>>    =20
>>> board that does not work, perhaps make the offer
>>>      =20
>> of sending the=20
>>    =20
>>> problem board to a developer who is interested in
>>>      =20
>> fixing the issue.
>> That would be an excelent idea :)
>>
>> As usual I'll try to get any ATA/SATA HW that shows
>> up on my doorstep=20
>> working, thats the deal.
>> I dont have the means nor the motivation to spend my
>> own hard earned $$=20
>> on all kinds of HW to get someone out there free
>> support, simple as that..
>>
>> That said, I do have a HT1000 based board around a
>> supermicro H8SSL that=20
>> is used as a busy local fileserver, needless to say
>> it works flawlessly.
>>
>> So, to get this worked on and hopefully fixed, get
>> me a failing board to=20
>> work on here... private mail with address details
>> etc can be had on=20
>> request...
>>
>> -S=F8ren
>>
>>    =20
>
> Is your busy file server running 7.0, and is it
> running in SATA mode? The MBs we've tried are H8SSP-i
> and an H8SSL-i, both with the same, unsuccessful
> results: bad file reads, signals when trying to run
> apps, crash-and-burn on buildworld wthin 5 seconds.
>  =20
This server has been running -current all the time with about biweekly=20
updates, so it has made the transition all the way from about 6.1 to=20
todays current without problems.
> Something happened between 6.2 and 7.0, as we were
> able to run 6.2 on these systems.
>
>  =20
Looks like a pattern, something outside of ATA also caused HW issues on=20
some Promise controllers to appear in this period.
Just checked and nothing in ATA changed in regards to either the HT1000=20
or the Promise HW, its the same support code thats been there all the tim=
e.
It could be a sideeffect of now having more fine grained locking etc,=20
that makes these problems show up, your guess is as good as mine.

Again, the sticky point is that if I cant reproduce a problem here its=20
very hard to work on it, if not just plain impossible...

-S=F8ren