Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 2001 15:30:43 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum problem

Please don't wrap log output.

On Monday, 12 February 2001 at 22:53:11 -0600, David W. Chapman Jr. wrote:
> Every time I start up vinum I get this error, whether cold boot or vinum
> stop and then vinum start, is there something I'm doing wrong.  I just
> cvsuped to -stable a half hour ago and make world and new kernel.  Anyone
> have any ideas
>
> Warning: defective objects
>
> P str1c.p0            S State: flaky    Subdisks:     2 Size:         17 GB
> S str1c.p0.s1           State: reborn   PO:      283 kB Size:       8712 MB
>
> I can fix it by running vinum setstate up str1c.p0.s1

Well, no, you can work around it like that.

> On a fresh boot, I get this output
> Feb 12 22:45:31 leviathan /kernel: vinum: reading configuration from /dev/da1s1e
> Feb 12 22:45:31 leviathan /kernel: vinum: updating configuration from /dev/da0s1e
> Feb 12 22:48:14 leviathan /kernel: vinum: /dev is mounted read-only, not rebuilding /dev/vinum

That's normal.  Nothing to worry about.

> I am starting vinum buy putting start_vinum="YES" in my rc.conf, but
> the second problem is the least of my problems.
>
> /var/log/messages doesn't tell me much
>
> Feb 12 22:45:31 leviathan /kernel: vinum: loaded
> Feb 12 22:45:31 leviathan /kernel: vinum: reading configuration from /dev/da1s1e
> Feb 12 22:45:31 leviathan /kernel: vinum: updating configuration from /dev/da0s1
>
> here is my config
>
> drive d1 device /dev/da0s1e
> drive d2 device /dev/da1s1e
>
> volume str1c
>  plex org striped 283k
>   sd length 8713m drive d1
>   sd length 8713m drive d2

All looks OK.

The problem you have is that some time in the distant past, something
probably went wrong.  Vinum doesn't forget the state.  setstate is a
recovery tool without a guard, and as a result Vinum doesn't record
the changes you make on the disk: you have to do that manually.  As a
result, when you reboot, they go back into the old state.

In this case, since your volume is not replicated, it's about your
only chance.  Next time you change the state, do a 'vinum saveconfig'
afterwards, and all should be well.  You can check what's on the disk
with 'vinum dumpconfig'.

Greg
--
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.