Date:      Sun, 7 Apr 2002 16:46:09 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@ns.sol.net>
To:        tlambert2@mindspring.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        jgreco@ns.sol.net (Joe Greco), freebsd-smp@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel trap 9 with interrupts disabled

> Joe Greco wrote:
> > I've got a new Tyan S2462 with dual AMD MP 1800+'s and a gig or two of
>                                                      *******************
> > RAM, which is being used to provide shell services to some users who have
>   ***
> > a variety of applications running.  It's virtually identical to another
> > that I got and love, which is being used for Usenet news stuff.
>
> If you could tell us *exactly* how much RAM you have, rather
> than making us pick a random number between 1 and 3 (1|2 == 3
> ...8-)), then it would be easier to give a definitive answer.

It's varied a bit, because I've raided some RAM out of the box-in-trouble
to put as much as 3.5GB in my news transit box.  Right now, the B-i-T only
has 1GB.

The other thing I just saw was that the problem went away during its last
incarnation.

If someone is interested in looking at a kernel dump, I'll do as Matt
Dillon suggested and see if I can get a core.

> However...
>
> This will make no sense whatsoever, unless you have been in the
> bowels of the startup code, but...
>
> 	options	MAXFILES 50000
> 	options DISABLE_PSE
>
> If you still have the problem, set your KVA from the default of
> 1G to 2G or even 3G (depending on how much RAM you have) AND do
> this.

Noted.