Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 95 20:26:35 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        jgr6969@ultb.isc.rit.edu (J.G. Rodriguez)
Cc:        bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Help with Install Problems

> Hello.  I've been trying to install FreeBSD Release 2.0 but I keep getting
> a disk read error on my installation floppies.  I can't get through the
> readme file (option 2 on the menu) without getting a  "Error reading file
> in dialog_textbox()" error.  I also get an error when it tries to unzip
> the system file during the install.  It does run through the entire install
> procedure though only to fail when booting from the hard drive giving me
> a message about not having an init.
>
> I did take my disks in to work and they installed fine on my machine at
> work.
>
> Here's the specifics.  I have a Gateway 2000 486DX-33V vesa LB machine with
> 8 meg of ram and a 212mb primary hard drive and 540mb secondary hard drive.
> It has both 3.5 and 5.25 floppies.  It is also equiped with a creative labs
> CD-ROM drive and a Media-Vision ProAudio spectrum card.  The Video card is
> and ATI Graphics Ultra Pro VLB.  I've tried installing off of both the 3.5
> and the 5.25 floppies with essentially the same results.

[ ... ]

> As for the machime at work, it's an HP Vectra 66/XM.  16Meg ram and 430mb
> of hard drive.

Where did you make the floopies, at home or at work?

Who manufactured the floppy drives in both machines?

I suspect that the floppy in one machine ot the other is not running
it's own clock and therefore is getting its sync speed off the bus;
this would make it incompatible.

You should retry the install in non-turbo mode, and if that fails too,
recreate the disks in non-turbo mode.

If that fails, then try pulling the sound card during the install; some
people have reported problems with Gateways and sound cards.

Since you only have 8M of RAM, I doubt that there is a VM problem, even
on the 2.0 release.

Since you are net connected enough to send this message, you may also
want to try pulling down the SNAP disks from freebsd.cdrom.com... it
may save you some hardware fiddling to install a more recent version
that is better aware of sound cards.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---