Date:      Mon, 30 Mar 1998 14:28:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Josh Poellot <jpoellot@interaccess.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: newbe question

On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, Josh Poellot wrote:

> I am a current Windows user who knows a fair amount about computers and
> the ms-dos/windows os.  I am considering switching some of my machines
> to FreeBSD, but I would like to know if FreeBSD supports file/print
> serving for Windows based PC's.  From what I have read I think it does,
> but I would like to be sure.  If it does, what networking services need
> to be installed on the Windows (95/98) PC's?

Install and setup samba from the ports tree.  Samba provides
Windows Networking-style server access to the FreeBSD box.  You'll have to
set up the FreeBSD box to print first, but that isn't too difficult with
the Handbook on your side.  You can use Samba to serve files, too.

> also - does FreeBSD support Iomega Bernoulli devices?  I have an older
> Bernoulli 90 with the SCSI adapter that came with it (PC-90?), which I
> would like to be able to use under FreeBSD.

I don't know about the SCSI controller but the drive itself is.