Date:      Mon, 13 May 1996 11:02:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Kees Jan Koster <dutchman@spase.nl>
Subject:   Re: Patches for gcc 2.7.2

On Mon, 13 May 1996, Kees Jan Koster wrote:

> Hoi Hackers,
>
> I've tried to install g++ 2.7.2 on my 2.1.0-release machine, but it does not
> seem an out-of-the-box installation.
>
> I modified config/freebsd.h to not generate .weak symbols, and then g++
> installs and runs all right. However, I get some weird errors from program
> compiled with 2.7.2. Some die on a signal 11, usually before entering main()
> or after exiting main().

I think that John Polstra's work getting ELF to work for FreeBSD (both
Linux and FreeBSD native) included patches to port gcc-2.7.2.  I think
you ought to ask him, or check out the elfkit stuff (which includes those
patches) on ftp.polstra.com.

> Gdb reports the following on the particular program, when I trace main()
> >
> > 25        exit (0);
> > (gdb) next
> >
> > Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
> > 0x81434f8 in free ()
> >

> Before I start digging any deeper, I'd like to be sure that my g++ is good.
>
> Normally I would not bother anyone with this kind of problem, but the same
> code compiles and runs fine on Linux, SunOS and HP-UX and using g++ 2.6.3
> on FreeBSD. This is also why I ask here instead of the gcc buglist.
>
> Could someone help me out or does anyone have patches for 2.7.2? What should
> I patch out/in?
>
>   Groetjes,
>     Kees Jan
>
> ======================================================================v==
> Kees Jan Koster                   e-mail: dutchman@spase.nl
> Van Somerenstraat 50              tel: NL-24-3234708
> 6521 BS  Nijmegen
>          the Netherlands
>  Who is this general Failure and why is he reading my disk?  (anonymous)

Chuck Robey chuckr@eng.umd.edu, I run FreeBSD-current on n3lxx + Journey2

Three Accounts for the Super-users in the sky,
  Seven for the Operators in their halls of fame,
Nine for Ordinary Users doomed to crie,
  One for the Illegal Cracker with his evil game
In the Domains of Internet where the data lie.
  One Account to rule them all, One Account to watch them,
  One Account to make them all and in the network bind them.