Date:      Thu, 9 May 2002 13:10:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gordon Tetlow <gordont@gnf.org>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@mass.dis.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nextboot loader diff

On Thu, 9 May 2002, Michael Smith wrote:

> You're fooling yourself if you think that just because you're rewriting a
> different file, "something going wrong" isn't going to hose the user
> anyway.

True, but if I only hose /boot/nextboot.conf (which is going to be delete
when the machine enters multi-user anyway), I can contain any damage done.

> You probably want to overwrite with "TRY" rather than "NO", too, since
> userland needs something to key off to know that this is a 'next' boot.
>
> Obviously, "TRY" then gets overwritten with "NO" on the next boot, but
> the new kernel is not booted (this is the 'recovery') boot.

This doesn't really have any hooks into userland. It's for loader options.
I may not be understanding what you are trying to illustrate here.

> I still think you're not thinking the processes associated with this
> feature through carefully enough.

Very possible. This was just a first cut of the feature and I'll be the
first to admit that it's not pretty. I don't know forth so I was happy
to get as far as I did.

There isn't a notion of a recovery boot in this implementation. It either
tries the new options (specified in /boot/nextboot.conf) or it doesn't and
sticks to the defaults.

-gordon