Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 2001 14:20:51 +0100 (CET)
From:      pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at (Gerald Pfeifer)
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Cc:        saper@system.pl
Subject:   ports/24383: libtool, USE_LIBTOOL, and graphics/dia

>Number:         24383
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       libtool, USE_LIBTOOL, and graphics/dia
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:

	The graphics/dia port apparently needs libtool installed, yet this
	is not checked properly and the build fails in an unsuitable way.

	This is *not* necessarily a problem with the dia port, which does
	set USE_LIBTOOL in it's Makefile.

	In any case, however, this failure mode is a bad one. Either
 	$PORTSDIR/devel/libtool is absolutely required (which would be
	undesirable), then it shouldn't be skipped and the build should
	abort there.

	Or, which is *strongly* preferrable and in fact does in general
	work for other tools using libtool, an installed version of libtool
	is not required.

>How-To-Repeat:

% cd $PORTSDIR/graphics/dia
% make
===>  Extracting for dia-0.86
>Fix:

>Release-Note:
>Audit-Trail:
>Unformatted:
 >> Checksum OK for dia-0.86.tar.gz.
 ===>   dia-0.86 depends on executable: gmake - found
 ===>   dia-0.86 depends on executable: libtool - not found
 ===>    Verifying install for libtool in /sw/FreeBSD/ports/devel/libtool
      >> No directory for libtool.  Skipping..
 ===>   dia-0.86 depends on shared library: xml.5 - found
 ===>   dia-0.86 depends on shared library: popt.0 - found
 ===>   dia-0.86 depends on shared library: X11.6 - found
 ===>   dia-0.86 depends on shared library: glib12.3 - found
 ===>   dia-0.86 depends on shared library: gtk12.2 - found
 ===>   dia-0.86 depends on shared library: Imlib.5 - found
 ===>  Applying FreeBSD patches for dia-0.86
 ===>  Configuring for dia-0.86
 libtool: not found
 creating cache ./config.cache
 checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c -o root -g wheel
 checking for gawk... no
 checking for mawk... no
 checking for nawk... no
 checking for awk... awk
 checking whether gmake sets ${MAKE}... yes
 checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
 checking host system type... i386--freebsd4.2
 checking build system type... i386--freebsd4.2
 checking for ranlib... ranlib
 checking for gcc... cc
 checking whether the C compiler (cc -O -pipe ) works... yes
 checking whether the C compiler (cc -O -pipe ) is a cross-compiler... no
 checking whether cc accepts -g... yes
 checking dependency style of cc... none
 checking for ld used by GCC... /usr/libexec/elf/ld
 checking if the linker (/usr/libexec/elf/ld) is GNU ld... yes
 checking for BSD-compatible nm... /usr/bin/nm -B
 checking whether ln -s works... yes
 updating cache ./config.cache
 /ltconfig: Can't open /ltconfig: No such file or directory
 configure: error: libtool configure failed
 ===>  Script "configure" failed: here are the contents of "config.log"
 This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
 running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.
 :