Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2002 11:34:37 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Harti Brandt <brandt@fokus.gmd.de>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installing headers and man pages for kmods

Hi there,

is there a canonical way to do this? Some time ago the ability to install
man pages was removed from kmod.mk. This is reasonable for the system
itself, but for third party packages this either forces one to poke in the
internals of /usr/share/mk (not an exciting experience) or to fit the
source layout to the one expected by the system. The latter is not so nice
if you have let's say 6 netgraph nodes, each one with a header file and
a man page. You get the c files in 6 per node directories, the man pages
in another directory, the header files in a third one. Given, that they
are strongly related to each other this is rather unfortunate.

At the moment I managed it to include the relevant make file (bsd.man.mk
and bsd.incs.mk) from Makefile.inc, but as I suppose, this possibility may
be removed at any time. Given that this seems to work, wouldn't it be
possible to remove the bsd.init.mk check from those files, so that
they can be included from Makefile?

Regards,
harti
--