Date:      Wed, 13 Feb 2002 12:47:55 -0800
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Andy Sporner <sporner@nentec.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Porting a device driver from NetBSD to FreeBSD

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I have been trying to port a driver I had written on NetBSD to FreeBSD.
> On NetBSD the driver functions without incident, On FreeBSD, after a time
> the whole system locks up.

Sounds like resource starvation of some sort.

> I hope somebody can give me a hint of where I should look.  It seems that
> the PCI performance on FreeBSD is much faster in talking to this particular
> devic.

Start by checking whether you're leaking memory or mbufs; netstat -m and
vmstat -m while you're running some network activity.

It's also concievable that you're just doing Something Wrong and lockup
up yourself.  Can you break to the debugger when the machine is hung?
(alt-ctl-esc).

--
To announce that there must be no criticism of the president
or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong is not