Date:      Sat, 28 Mar 1998 12:07:45 -0600
From:      Jacques Vidrine <n@nectar.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   jaz / adaptec 2930 woes

Hi Folks,

I've been having a heck of a time using an Iomega Jaz drive and an
Adaptec 2930 on my -current system.

I was able to make some use of the Jaz drive on a February -current
kernel, but it was a bit flakey.  When the Jaz spun down after some
inactivity, I would get nothing but I/O errors until rebooting.  I
never did get to do any serious work with the drive, but at least I
could make a filesystem on it and mount it.

Now I'm running a 03/12/1998 -current, and it seems that whenever I
access the Jaz drive, the accessing processed (whether it be
mount/newfs/dd or whatever) hangs in a deadlock in vclean.  Or rather,
it hangs, and when shutting down the system I get a ``panic: vclean:
deadlock''.

I've not yet tried the latest -current, but I did not see any commit
logs after 3/12 that indicate changes in this area (to my limited
experience).

The drive is external.

Here are the (verbose) boot messages I get on the 03/12 kernel
regarding the Adaptec and the Jaz:

--- begin dmesg excerpt ---
found-> vendor=0x9004, dev=0x6078, revid=0x01
  class=01-00-00, hdrtype=0x00, mfdev=0
  intpin=a, irq=10
  map[0]: type 4, range 32, base 00006000, size  8
  map[1]: type 1, range 32, base e1001000, size 12
ahc0: <Adaptec aic7860 SCSI host adapter> rev 0x01 int a irq 10 on pci0.20.0
ahc0: Reading SEEPROM...done.
internal50 cable is present
internal68 cable not present
brdctl == 0xc
external cable not present
eprom not present
brdctl == 0x6c
low byte termination enabled, high byte termination disabled
ahc0: aic7860 Single Channel, SCSI Id=7, 3 SCBs
ahc0: Resetting Channel A
ahc0: Downloading Sequencer Program...ahc0: 366 instructions downloaded
Done
ahc0: Probing channel A
scbus0 at ahc0 bus 0
ahc0: target 4 synchronous at 10.0MHz, offset = 0xf
sd0 at scbus0 target 4 lun 0
sd0: <iomega jaz 1GB J.83> type 0 removable SCSI 2
sd0: Direct-Access
sd0: ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:24,0 Invalid field in CDB
sd0 could not mode sense (4). Using ficticious geometry
1021MB (2091050 512 byte sectors)
sd0: with 1021 cyls, 64 heads, and an average 32 sectors/track
--- end dmesg excerpt ---

When I probe /dev/ssc, I get:

0: nothing.
1: nothing.
2: nothing.
3: nothing.
4: scsireq_enter: Input/output error
5: nothing.
6: nothing.
7: nothing.

and a kernel message:

sd0: physio split the request.. cannot proceed

Can someone give me some pointers in debugging my problems?  In
particular, the following are mysteries to me:

* verbose kernel boot messages indicate ``internal50 cable is
  present'' and ``internal68 cable not present''.  This is backwards --
  I have no internal SCSI devices, only the external Jaz drive.

* What do the messages ``sd0: ILLEGAL REQUEST [..]'' and ``sd0 could
  not mode sense [...]'' mean?

* What does the message ``sd0: physio split the request.. cannot proceed''
  indicate?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Jacques Vidrine <n@nectar.com>