Date:      Wed, 23 Jun 2010 23:00:44 +0200
From:      Richard T C Farnes <rcfarnes@broadpark.no>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X not responding

On Tuesday 22 June 2010 19:52:54 Andy Balholm wrote:
> I am having a problem with Xorg under FreeBSD 8.0 RELEASE and 8.1 RC1:
>
> When I type startx, the X server starts, and some xterm windows open, but
> it will not respond to keyboard or mouse input. The mouse pointer won't
> move, and the only keyboard input that does anything is CTRL-ALT-F1 etc. to
> switch virtual terminals.
>
> If I install FreeBSD 7.1, which installs Xorg straight from the
> installation CD, it works fine. Under version 8, I've tried installing from
> ports and packages, and I get this problem.
>
> When I first had this problem, I was running it under VirtualBox, so I
> thought maybe it was because VirtualBox's FreeBSD support is incomplete.
> But now I've tried it on real PC hardware, and I have the same problem.
>
> Obviously some people must be running X under FreeBSD 8, so I must be doing
> something wrong in my installation or configuration, but I can't guess what
> it is.
>
> Andy Balholm
> (509) 276-2065
> andy@balholm.com

Here it looks like you have made some mistakes in the configuring file for X.
You did not mention that  you have configured it. After X has been installed
you must  go into the X configuration file and configure  your keyboard and
mouse etc  for use with it. When I installed X on my version 7 BSD I had to
use some time tuning this file so X would work properly. The file gives you
alternatives like which language keyboard you use and how your mouse works
and other settings.

Regards
Richard Farnes