Date:      Mon, 27 May 2002 13:01:48 -0400
From:      Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC <chad@shire.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portmap_enable=NO and *.sunrpc LISTEN

On Monday, May 27, 2002, at 06:42 , Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am a little dense.  I have "portmap_enable=NO" in rc.conf (both
> /etc/defaults/rc.conf and /etc/rc.conf it turns out).  My understanding
> is that this should not start portmap service.  But when I do
>
> host# lsof | grep sunrpc
> portmap      77     daemon    3u  IPv4   0xe303fec0        0t0     UDP
> *:sunrpc
> portmap      77     daemon    4u  IPv4   0xe3280d80        0t0     TCP
> *:sunrpc (LISTEN)
> host#
>
> It appears to be running.  I first noticed this when doing a netstat -a
> and looking for *.<port> as I am trying to eliminate the * for all IP
> addresses on the machine for network services so that I can experiment
> with the jail concept.
>
> I am wondering where else or how this portmap service could get
> started?  I looked for the word "portmap" in /etc/* and found nothing
> interesting.

OK, I got the answer myself -- nfs server is being started which will
start the portmapper service for you even when you specify NO.  OK, no
problem.  But how do I specify a specific IP to bind to for portmasp on
the TCP side?  -h flag (%man portmap) specifies for UDP purposes, the
port, but on the TCP side, when I try it, it still listens on *.sunrpc
TCP but only my host.sunrpc for UDP.   I need to make it do only the
host.sunrpc for LISTEN on TCP too.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Chad