Date:      Mon, 5 Mar 2001 10:53:06 +0100
From:      Francesco Casadei <fcasadei@inwind.it>
To:        Ceri Storey <c.storey@student.umist.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syscons Meta key disfunctional

--MGYHOYXEY6WxJCY8

On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 03:17:23AM +0000, Ceri Storey wrote:
> this is me probablu just missing something elephantine here, but my Alt k=
ey=20
> doesnt seem to work in the syscons console. i'm using the uk.cp850-ctrl k=
eymap
> but it doesnt seem to work with any keymap. if anyone can point me in the=
 right
> direction, i'd me most obliged.
> --=20
> Ceri Storey <cez@pkl.net> http://pkl.net/~cez/
>=20
>=20
> end of the original message

The ALT key sets the 8th bit (0x80). You must change the values in the 'alt'
and 'alt shift' columns in /usr/share/syscons/keymaps/uk.iso.kbd (or
uk.iso-ctrl.kbd). Open uk.iso.kbd with your favourite editor:

#                                                         alt
# scan                       cntrl          alt    alt   cntrl lock
# code  base   shift  cntrl  shift  alt    shift  cntrl  shift state
# ------------------------------------------------------------------
[snip]
  030   'a'    'A'    soh    soh    'a'    'A'    soh    soh     C
[snip]

Look at ascii(7) man page the hexadecimal value for 'a'. This is 0x61. Star=
t bc
and set obase=3D16 and ibase=3D16, then you can add 0x80 (i.e. 128, the 8th=
 bit
set) to 0x61:

61+80
8D

Put the value 0x8d in the 'alt' column at row 030. Now you have ALT+a.
Lookup the value for 'A' (0x41) and add 0x80 to it:

41+80
C1

Put the value 0xc1 in the 'alt shift' column at row 030. Now you have ALT+A.
Repeat the procedure for all the keys which you want to use in combination =
with
the ALT key.

Instead of change uk.iso.kbd (or whatever iso keymap you choose) copy it to
uk.emacs.kbd and make the changes to this file, this way each
buildworld+installworld will not overwrite your file!

Finally put in /etc/rc.conf the following:

keymap=3D"uk.emacs"    # change this to whatever you named the keymap file
font8x16=3D"iso-8x16"
font8x14=3D"iso-8x14"
font8x8=3D"iso-8x8"

Set the environment variable MM_CHARSET to ISO-8859-1, i.e. put the followi=
ng
in ~/.login_conf:

me:\
        :charset=3DISO-8859-1:

I know this is a lot of work, and you should consider if it is worthwile. F=
or
example if you only want to use the ALT key in emacs you can use the ESC key
instead. For example ALT+A is identical to ESC A (press and release ESC and
then press SHIFT+A).

Hope this helps.

	Francesco Casadei
--=20
You can download my public key from http://digilander.iol.it/fcasadei/
or retrieve it from a keyserver (pgpkeys.mit.edu, wwwkeys.pgp.net, ...)

Key fingerprint is: 1671 9A23 ACB4 520A E7EE  00B0 7EC3 375F 164E B17B

--MGYHOYXEY6WxJCY8

--MGYHOYXEY6WxJCY8--