Date:      Fri, 10 May 1996 05:22:21 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users), nisha@CS.Berkeley.EDU
Subject:   Re: Max data segment size

>As Satoshi Asami wrote:
>
>> What are the rationales behind this being in a machine-specific system
>> header file, in other words, does this mean that I can't increase the
>> max data segment size beyond 128MB on an x86?
>
>Pending other explanations, i believe it's the size of the page tables
>(or page table directories?) reserved for these segments.

   There isn't any problem with increasing these limits as long as you realize
that it will allow users to more easily spam the system by consuming all of
the swapspace. They could probably do this, anyway, however.
   ...anyway, there isn't any problem with page tables or anything like that.

-DG

David Greenman