Date:      Thu, 05 Feb 2004 13:38:47 +0200
From:      Nelis Lamprecht <nelis@8ball.co.za>
To:        Nicolas <nicolas.gafgo@bredband.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newbie trying to build a new world

--=-w5+1wDDLHWa1QWaS4r4q

On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 13:15, Nicolas wrote:
> Hello.
> I am a newbie trying to build a new kernel. I have been following the han=
dbook=20
> step by step but I still do something wrong. I copied GENERIC and did som=
e=20
> changes and called my new kernel MOAK. I put it into /root/kernels and ty=
ped:
> ln -s /root/kernels/MOAK

if that's all you typed then it's incorrect. Try:

ln -s /root/kernels/MOAK /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/MOAK

which basically just creates a shortcut to the original file residing in
/root/kernels.

>  I cvsuped src all and ports all.
> Then and did: make -j4 buildworld.
>  No problem.=20

good.

> Then I rebooted and went into single user mode and typed:=20
> make buildkernel KERNCONF=3DMOAK.

that's fine, though the only time you really should boot into single
user mode is when you doing a install world. Doesn't hurt though.

> =20
> Then I get this output:
> config: /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/MOAK:274: syntax error
> Error code 1
> stop in /usr/src
> error code 1
> Stop in /usr/src

see above.

> Is there something wrong in MOAK (see attachment)???
> Hope that somebody can offer me some help.=20
> Many thanks Nicolas

you may also want to read /usr/src/UPDATING

Regards,
--=20
Nelis Lamprecht
PGP: http://www.8ball.co.za/pgp/nelis.key
"Unix IS user friendly.. It's just selective about who its friends are."

--=-w5+1wDDLHWa1QWaS4r4q

--=-w5+1wDDLHWa1QWaS4r4q--