Date:      Thu, 21 May 1998 05:35:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        bjc23@hermes.cam.ac.uk
Cc:        jbrann@brann.org, jmb@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@time.cdrom.com, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, kline@tera.tera.com, freebsd@atipa.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why we should support Microsoft...

Ben Cohen wrote:
> > > [snip a lot about microsoft]
> > >
> > > 	the DOJ should strive to break microsoft into two companies:
> > > 	an operating system firm and an applications firm.  microsoft
> > > 	uses its os to force applcations upon users.  microsoft
> > > 	has stolen apps that it failed to write.  some of these
> > > 	have been added to the os product package.
> > >
> > [SNIP]
>
> How about forcing MS to release their OS source code?  Perhaps under
> a licence such as the Berkeley one or, I think more realistically,
> something more like GPL.

	that's a different idea ;)

	microsoft uses their operating system to dominate the apps
	market.  i would like to see that practice stopped.
	microsoft redefines what is part of the operating system
	as desired to gut the profitability of other companies
	products.  while one can argue that stacker really should
	be part of the operating system, i dont believe one can
	argue that a web browser could be.  web browsers are clearly
	apps which may be expanded to provide the GUI for the box.

	microsoft needs to be split to prevent these two anti-competitive
	practices.
jmb