Date:      Tue, 29 Dec 1998 18:53:01 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        hamet <hamet@pacific.net.sg>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: partitioning of HDD for freebsd

On Tuesday, 29 December 1998 at 16:20:52 +0800, hamet wrote:
> Hi there was wondering if this is the right address for help
> anyway I was trying to install my freebsd2.2.6
> i have 2 Harddisk. a primary master(4gig) which run win98 and a
> secondary master(8gig). my secondary master had been partitioned by
> fdisk. so its like
> there's 4 partitions there.
> Now i would like to install freebsd on my secondary master. How do i go
> about doing it?Do i need to repartition again on my secondary master?

You need a slice (what you call a partition) on your disk for
FreeBSD.  If you already have four, and you want to keep them, you're
out of luck.  Otherwise use FreeBSD's fdisk program to do it (probably
via the Disk Label Editor during installation).  See the handbook or
``The Complete FreeBSD'' for more details.  Note that the first 50 MB
or so of the slice you create must be addressable by the BIOS with no
outside help, otherwise you won't be able to boot FreeBSD.

Greg