Date:      Tue, 1 Jun 2004 09:43:45 +0200
From:      platanthera <platanthera@web.de>
To:        johnh@thebunker.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make depend error

On Tuesday 01 June 2004 04:39, john huss wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can any of you kind teeps help me out please? I'm trying to compile my
> FreeBSD 4.9 kernel for the first time and am having problems.
>
> I am recompiling for several reasons; to learn about compiling the
> kernel; to get sound support for my isa soundcard and (finally); to
> compile in some firewall options mentioned in the handbook.

hi john,

I just don't know what the reasons for your problem might be, but would like
to give some hints anyway.
(1) There's no need to compile sound support and firewall options statically
into the kernel. Of course you can do so, but you can use modules for this
purpose too. It's your choice.
(2) You can safely comment out support for hardware you don't have on your
system.
(3) It's quite some time ago that 4.9 came out and several security related
bugs have been discovered and fixed since then. That's why you should
update your sources using cvsup(1) and rebuild the entire base system,  not
only the kernel.
After having updated the sources
- cd /usr/src
- read UPDATING and README
- cp sys/i386/conf/GENERIC sys/i386/conf/CUSTOM_KERNEL
- edit your custom kernel configuration
- make buildworld
- make buildkernel
- make installkernel
- reboot to single user mode, fsck and mount the file systems
- mergemaster -p
- cd /usr/src
- make installworld
- mergemaster

these steps will leave you with an up to date system using the GENERIC
kernel. To create and install a custom kernel just repeat the make
build/install kernel steps in /usr/src but add KERNCONF=CUSTOM_KERNEL.

reboot and enjoy