Date:      Tue, 30 Apr 2002 12:50:01 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>, Matthew Reimer <mreimer@vpop.net>
Subject:   Re: ATAPI CD on -stable can't read VCD

On 2002-Apr-22 21:00:14 -0500, Matthew Reimer <mreimer@vpop.net> wrote:
>David Wolfskill wrote:
>>>From: Matthew Reimer <mreimer@vpop.net>
>>>I'm not able to read a VCD with FreeBSD-stable. Attempting to mount the
>>>CD causes this error:
>>
>>>Apr 22 17:57:37 bilbo /kernel: acd0: READ_BIG - ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=0x64
>>>ascq=0x00 error=0x00

I get exactly the same error on a Compaq Armada 1592DT (P-233).  I'm
using a commercial (pressed) VCD that I can play on my DVD/VCD player.

>>>I think this is a regression, because a couple of months ago I could
>>>play VCD's just fine.

I tried about a year ago on a then -CURRENT system without success but
haven't tried again until now, so I can't be certain that it ever worked.

My kernel probe looks like:

atapci0: <Generic PCI ATA controller> port 0x1000-0x100f at device 20.0 on pci0
atapci0: Busmastering DMA not supported
ata0: iobase=0x01f0 altiobase=0x03f6 bmaddr=0x0000
ata0: mask=03 ostat0=50 ostat2=50
ata0-slave: ATAPI 14 eb
ata0-master: ATAPI 00 00
ata0: mask=03 stat0=50 stat1=00
ata0-master: ATA 01 a5
ata0: devices=09
ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0
ata0-slave: piomode=4 dmamode=1 udmamode=-1 dmaflag=1
acd0: <UJDA120/1.01> CDROM drive at ata0 as slave
acd0: read 2755KB/s (1510KB/s), 128KB buffer, BIOSPIO
acd0: Reads: CD-DA
acd0: Writes:
acd0: Audio: play, 16 volume levels
acd0: Mechanism: ejectable tray, unlocked
acd0: Medium: CD-ROM 120mm data disc

cirb503493# atacontrol list
ATA channel 0:
    Master:  ad0 <IBM-DYKA-23240/YK4OA74G> ATA/ATAPI rev 3
    Slave:  acd0 <UJDA120/1.01> ATA/ATAPI rev 0
ATA channel 1:
    Master:      no device present
    Slave:       no device present
cirb503493# atacontrol mode 0
Master = BIOSPIO
Slave  = BIOSPIO
cirb503493# atacontrol cap 0 1
ATA channel 0, Slave, device acd0:

ATA/ATAPI revision    0
device model          UJDA120
firmware revision     1.01
cylinders             0
heads                 0
sectors/track         0
lba supported
lba48 not supported
dma supported
overlap not supported

Feature                      Support  Enable    Value   Vendor
write cache                    no       no
read ahead                     no       no
dma queued                     no       no      0/00
SMART                          no       no
microcode download             no       no
security                       no       no
power management               no       no
advanced power management      no       no      0/00
automatic acoustic management  no       no      0/00    0/00
cirb503493#

Note that I'd like to use a DMA mode.  According to Compaq, the laptop
supports DMA, but the ATA code doesn't recognize the chipset"
atapci0@pci0:20:0:      class=0x010180 card=0x0e1103f4 chip=0xd5681045 rev=0x30 hdr=0x00

I'm also willing to help get this working.

Peter