Date:      Mon, 8 Apr 2002 12:49:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Mills <jmmills@telocity.com>
To:        Walter Hop <walter@binity.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: [ot] good Xserver for Windows 2000?

Hello -

On Sun, 7 Apr 2002, Walter Hop wrote:
> I'm looking for a good X server (possibly commercial) to display X
> applications from my FreeBSD box on a Windows 2000 terminal.

> Who has used/can recommend a good X server?

I am setting up some Linux hosts which will be used by developers from
their MsWin desktops. I am recommending they try VNC
([http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc]) for logins.

To my understanding, MsWin users run a VNC _client_ to their Unix account,
where they have previously started the server (_and_ the window manager).
The server exports an X-Window System $DISPLAY, against which the user has
assigned a password. I expect you can start a number of such servers from
init (one per user, to predefined values of $DISPLAY), but I haven't tried
it.

The user's config file offers 'twm' and 'mwm' as window-manager options,
the default being 'twm'. I suppose others could be used - 'fvwm' comes to
mind - but I haven't tried this, either.

The VNC server and client are included in the RH-7.2 installation - I'm
too green at FreeBSD to know if it has a port, or where.

At any rate, the price is right, sources are [GPL-] free, and the
connection can run through SSH.

 - John Mills